Re: [MV] good vs bad antifreeze (technical)

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 20:36:32 PDT

>What causes pitting and leaks to form in diesels is not clear at first.......
>......... Always use a brand which is certified for diesel use.

This is not a "Diesel" issue this is an issue for SOME Diesels. I have
personal experiance with Totota industrial Diesels and Perkins Diesels, this
cavitation errosion and pitting problem has never been an issue, it has
never come up from the manufacterer and no one I know has ever heard of it
EXCEPT in certain other makes/models of engines. The what-ever-was-on-sale
brand has worked for 25 years and many hundreds of thousands of miles in
some situations that I know of without any problem.

Fact is that now I do use a better coolant principally because it seems that
the radiators fail to often. When a new rad for the suburban lists at $825
(I recored it for $180), I decided I would switch to an orange stuff made
by Texaco which was recomended by a customer/friend who ownes an engine
dealership (Perkins that is).

There are properly designed and built Diesels and there are improperly
designed and built Diesels.

Later,

je