my two cents, no laughs, part 2

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 16:36:49 PDT

Bob,

Actually, I was referring to the ambush thing only has a hypothetical as I
live no where near there....but an armored car would have certainly come in
very handy as the guy was prepared to snipe anyone to came to help. On the
other hand there is a fellow who lives in Schertz, Tx (Jim Rice will know
who I am talking about) who used his half track in the public interest
during a flood (it's either dry as a bone or flooding here in South Texas)
and was even called upon to pull out a police car that had gotten in too
deep.

But in reality, we are not talking about VEHICLES in these circumstances,
but their OWNERS (or operators) who put them to use, very much like the
popular statement "---- don't kill people, people kill people" but please
leave me out of the NRA arguments....I am attempting to speak of this in
general terms. Put quite simply, the legislature seems to believe that, if
they cannot ensure good citizenship by passing laws requiring it
unconditionally, they will resort to the next best thing.....passing laws
removing all that is perceived as "bad" for us as though we are all errant
children. And, of course, most of us are deeply offended by that as we are
certainly NOT children. (well, judging by some postings on this list, MOST
of us, anyway)

I don't see this current problem as an issue of military vehicles or
equipment or guns or traffic safety or public health or save the whales,
etc. etc..... (Flame away, MacDuff!...I'm entitled to my opinion.......)

What the issue REALLY IS is that these supposedly scholarly and learned men
and women who agreed to fairly REPRESENT us, cannot seem to construct
adequate legislation, that in its wording can be expected to address
whatever problem foreseen without being too BROAD AND FAR REACHING or,
legislation that can be expected to be enforced with some common sense
because the language of the legislation is SPECIFIC to the problem being
addressed! After all....these folks are being paid for this important
service that ultimately affects us all and we have a right to hold our
legislators (even more, we are obliged to hold them) to a high standard of
excellence in this regard. Sadly, what we get sometimes seems to be
something less than excellent legislation.

TJ