Re: M37 found, value questions

From: Lisa (jeepcj8@home.com)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 07:01:46 PDT

> Once again, I found an M37 nearby that I am considering buying. Owner asking
> around $2,000 and is firm.
> Here is the situation.
>
> Runs and drives perfect and all 4WD stuff works perfect.

ANY 4wd running is worth 1K.

> 1963 Model, open cab

> Very little rust except in the bottom panel of the bed.

> Engine rebuilt, blasted and painted satin black, runs perfect

Great! You can always paint it later.

> Engine compartment and cab interior sandblasted and painted desert tan
> (semi-gloss, unfortunately)

Desert tan ain't so bad, again, you can always paint it later.

> All guages present and working
> converted from 24 to 12 volt, battery box installed in engine compartment.

(sigh) plan on visiting a lot of swap meets to find the 24v at reasonable
prices.

> Oil bath breather removed and replaced by civvy filter (still has original)
> Starter replaced w/12 volt
> Distributor and wires replaced by civvy one
> Absolutely no oil leaks
> Brake master and wheel cylinders all new (left rear seems to be leaking a
> bit)
> Tires have 25% tread remaining
> All glass present, but fogged a bit
> Seat covers new, but made from civvy cloth
> No top bows or canvas at all

Ouch. Here is $100 in hardware, and $350 in canvas.

> Small troop seat (about 12" square) behind passenger seat (Is this a radio
> truck?)
> No spare tire

Another $100, you will want one a spare. Small seat is stock.

> Missing both headlights and brackets
> Missing bumperettes

Mo' money...

> Non-winch model

Most are. Winches are hard to find, run about $1200 complete.

> Floor boards almost perfect, one rustout size of a quarter
> Good!
> So what do you think, is it worth it?

I would say if the body is great, yes. Parts are easy to find for these. Stay
with the 12v and slowly (as money allows) build up the inventory to do the 24v
conversion. Get to know the vendors who sell parts for these. Visit the M37 type
websites (let me know, I'll send them to you). Watch eBay, I notice AB Linn is
selling stuff on there. We met him in Aberdeen--nice guy to do business with.
There are many others, and this list will be helpful. Since it runs, your first
priority is bows & canvas, and fix the brakes. Worry about the 24v later. Make a
wish list with prices, then prioritize it. Get the manuals or the CD rom on the
parts and repair. Get on Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, and Eastwood mailing
lists. This sounds like a great starter M37 as it is driveable.
Good Luck
Lisa