1984 Mutts?

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 18:21:41 PDT

Well, it's time I get back on my platform and see if I can clarify this
posting:

"1. The body of my 1984 MUTT appears to be made of thinner guage of steel

they make any Aluminium bodied MUTTs in the '80s? If so, is there any clear"

I would be very interested in looking at a 1984 M-151A2. The reason is
because none were manufactured. The last production from AM General was
around the fall of 1978. The next production and the LAST production from
AM General for M-151A2's were in a 1985 contract for the Pakistan Gov't for
1200 units. That was it for A2's and all were exported. As far as a jeep
being made out of thinner gauge steel later on (or any time for that matter)
would not be possible as the units produced were as per gov't
specs/protocol. Each part is specified and each manufacturing step is
outlined in a contract. The later units were Z-Barted as rust was a problem
in earlier units so to make lighter gauge steel units was not even
considered much less discussed. AND besides, the jeep is a unitized body
and to use a lighter gauge steel would be ludicrous for tactical duty. AM
General was developing the Humvee in the late 70's and were in production by
late 1983. The old Studebaker plant was the factory for M-151A2's in South
Bend, Indiana and was completely shut down after that. The property still
stands and is currently a storage warehouse for a private concern. The test
track beside it (400 acres or so) is a Humvee training/proving ground. There
were no aluminum bodied A2's produced there and the AMG factory is not aware
of any either. I think Ford experimented with some aluminum bodies in the
early 60's but not sure of that.