Re: Floating HMV Spotted- to be sunk in Canada; also CWM

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 08:59:49 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: NIGEL HAY <Nigel@milweb.net>...

> About 2 miles from where I live is the (regrettfully now virtually
submerged
> in the mud, ) WW2 German E boat .... It lies at Port Richborough,
> one of WW2's "secret" ports, where amongst other things the treadway
bridge
> links for the Mulberry harbours were built and assembled and ultimately
> towed out to the invasion beaches. .... It is located
> just 20 yards from the main Sandwich -Ramsgate road. And there it will
> remain.
> Kind regards, NIGE

Colin replies:

***** Left behind by THE EAGLE HAS LANDED crew no doubt. :-)

***** Here in British Columbia, Canada, the LAST Canadian built Victory Ship
(our version of the Liberty ship), called the CAPE BRETON is being
destroyed. Another one was already being scrapped in the UK.

She was complete and operational as a training ship. Our Merchant Navy vets
tried to raise funds to buy and save her but were unsuccessful. Without
bothering to advise the Canadian War Museum (CWM), Crown Assets (Canadian
government surplus people) sold the ship for a reported mere $20,000
Canadian (complete with fully equipped machinist workshops!) to a group that
is now stipping her and plans to sink her as an artificial reef. I do not
fault this group as they have been buying surplus war ships and sinking
them. It is good for the ecology and economy - and marginally better than
the scrapyard. I told the Director of the Canadian War Museum about it and
he was appalled - but it was too late to do anything about it. The Cape
Breton is presently being stripped in North Vancouver, BC. HMV connection?
How do you think all those CMPs, Grizzly's, Rams, Sextons, Lynxes, Otters,
Universal Carriers etc. got to Europe?

The CWM is however apparently acquiring one of the three post-war submarines
that Canada just retired and plans to display it outside in Ottawa, Ontario
at their NEW museum site at Rockcliffe (Ottawa) near the spectacular
National Aviation Museum.

Incidently, the CWM military vehicle collection has been growing under Jim
Whitham and has had some exciting additions. More to come.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor MAPLE LEAF UP (Est. 1977) newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB