Overhauled M37 oiling problem

From: Gil Huguley (Gil@huguley.com)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 14:18:24 PDT

Hello, list!
I have hung all the accessories on the engine and cranked it over following a recent rebuild. I expected to see some oil pressure but didn't when motoring the engine with the starter (spark plugs out).

1. I know the oil pump (new) is turning because the distributor rotor is moving clockwise. (Engine will fire if I squirt gas in intake).

2. I removed the top of the oil filter canister and did not see any oil coming into the filter canister. Then removed the oil line feeding the canister at the gallery port on the front of the engine. No oil squirting out from the gallery.

3. I have motored the engine with the starter for as long as 30 seconds.

Is there anything I could be missing regarding the installation of the oil pump? I had to remove it to align the distributor correctly.

Thanks,

Gil