CUCV info and Goodies

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 18:32:17 PDT

Here are four items that will be very useful to know in restoring your CUCV.
I've already done the footwork, cost and you won't have to!

1. TAILLIGHT LENS SCREWS. About 3/4", sheet metal type, torx head and
silver oxide. (black and not shiny) See your local NAPA dealer and ask to
look through their large book of fasteners. You will find them in it
available in a little bag of 9 each for about $3. It will be nice to have 8
matching ones and have a spare one too! These are EXACT replacements except
use a different size (negligible) torx screwdriver. Looks perfect and
original. I believe these will work on the front side markers too. No need
to use plated civvy ones or unmatching regular screws that can rust. These
are hard to find because nowhere will you find a part number from Chevrolet
and are not available from them either. (Don't quite understand this
either!)

2. BURGUNDY SPRAY PAINT FOR THE DASHPAD. When a new dash is ordered from
Chevrolet (about $183 body shop price), it comes gray in color. To paint is
and make it look perfect, your local automotive paint suppliers should have
this on their "generic" rack. It is a regular size 13 oz. vinyl & plastic
spray manufactured by SEM products of Charlotte, NC. The color is Burgundy
and the stock number is 15063. The contents of the can is little more than
enough to do the entire dash and is a perfect match! It will "make" the
interior of your unit! Cost is about $8-9. At this point, I recommend that
you buy a new black insert from Chevrolet and is about $11 body shop price.
Original insert is cut for the NBC bracket and unless you want that bracket,
DON'T cut the new black insert and your CUCV will look great! Little emblem
is about $5.60. Don't forget to wipe down the dash pad with alcohol before
painting.

3. GLOW PLUG TEMPERATURE SENSOR. Here is a real goodie piece of info. The
number in your 34P lists the chevy part number but it has been upgraded to
this GM stock number: 10045847. Comes with threadseal, shrink splice and
little pigtail harness to splice into the black/yellow wires to upgrade the
old plug to fit on the new glow plug sensor. White wires on it are way to
long so cut some off so they won't be dangling over top of engine. Cost is
about $22 body shop price. Works great and don't use the old style sensor.

4. GLOW PLUG RELAY. Back to NAPA again. It is a "Ford" style relay and
stock number is: GPR 109. This relay is a round, brown one and is a
suitable replacement. Cost is about $17 and its' footprint will match the
two screws to mount it even though they don't look like they will! You will
also have to find or buy new brass nuts and washers for the electric hookup
to it as none come with it. The ones from the old relay will not match it.
(probably metric) If your old GPR looks like a "dimmer switch" (bakelite),
replace it. If it isn't bad, it soon WILL be! The military upgraded this
one; is a little silver can, (looks like a Ford type starter solenoid) and
is a very good one to use. If one isn't available, using the one I found is
satisfactory and is heavy duty waterproof.

I have been wanting to post this for some time and hope this helps all CUCV
enthusiasts. Your military NUT in general, Julian Burke