Need help on GPW springs

From: OKMTRPOOL@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 19:44:09 PDT

I want to have my rear springs on a '42 GPW (9 leaf) re-arched or serviced.
They seem to be settled a bit after 50+ years. All American Wonder advises
that the correct length between the center line of the eyebolts is 42 inches
with no load. I now have the rear springs off and lying on the shop floor.
The straight line distance between the eyebolt centers is 40 inches. If I
have these "re-arched" to 42 inches, am I not flattening them?
 Could someone please explain this to me, and perhaps tell me what to tell
the spring shop to do?