Re: [MV] MUTT pedigree

From: Muttguru@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 03:42:57 PDT

Dear Jim, Julian and Listers........

I too, love a good discussion about Mutts and establishing the facts in the
history of the Mutt is a laudable aim.

Jim writes......
<>

Ken writes.......
I know of three ACTUAL versions. One was built by AM and was nomenclatured
"Truck, 1/4-Ton, 4x4, M151A2-LC. A photo of this vehicle is shown on my
website and the design and attachment of the solid-axles (M606) is clearly
visible.
The second version was tested in mid 1969 by the Army working in conjunction
with Ford Motor Company. A solid-axle version of the M151A1 was constructed
and tested for stability. Other vehicles tested at the same time were the
M38A1 and the M151A1 (regular suspension) and the M151A1 fitted with DeDion
rear suspension (by KarKraft) along with the "new" M151A2. The various
vehicles were tested with different loads (350lbs and 1200lbs) and their
reaction to a mechanically-induced rollover situation was not only recorded,
but filmed. Although I haven't (yet) located a copy of the film, I have
acquired the transcript along with the test results (which featured in a copy
of the M151 Newsletter recently). The results of the testing were (to say the
least) questionable ....the DeDion was not given the whole range of tests
even though it outperformed the M151A2-designate in the tests that it DID
undertake. You all know that the M151A2 was adopted. we can speculate on
"why".
A third version made its appearance even earlier........ in 1966 , 6 M151A1
trucks (these were in the "2J"-series) were experimentally fitted with solid
axles by the US Army Europe, (Third Infantry Division) at Leighton Barracks,
Wurzburg. Although the responsibility for monitoring the experiment seems to
have beeen passed around a few times, the responsible officer was a Lt.
Col.Hawley. Roll bars and seat belts were also experimented with at the same
time. Present on a visit to Wurzburg in 1966 were C Mauch (Ford Motor Co) and
JW Houston (TACOM- AMCPM-GP-T).
A Ford memo of the time stated "the general driver reaction is very good and
the only exception seems to be comments about the harsher ride. A typical
comment mentioned that the road-holding and cornering ability was good and
these characteristics out-weighed the disadvantage of the hard ride." Despite
these favourable comments.,,,,, the solid-axle was never adopted.

Jim writes.........
<<More very interesting information! Now, I know that Ken knows his
stuff but....I have to ask for hard data on the use of Fruehauf bodies on
Ford built M-151's. When, how many, how long, and why switch to Budd Co.
for bodies? I have (so far) only seen Willys/Kaiser MUTTS with the
Fruehauf body tag. I have an actual Fruehauf body tag in my collection
that I took off the front frame rail of a M-151 along with the (non Ford)
dash data plate. The body plate is a thin foil material and reads:>>

Ken writes........
Now we get to the really contentious part of the story. Budd did indeed make
bodies for Ford, but I have records of Fruehauf body tags on FORD
vehicles..... Ford-built M151 with US registration 2B 6997 (delivered 12/60)
carried Fruehauf plate DLC-09530-2725 and 2C *38* (not clearly readable) had
DLD-9533-1672. Again a Ford plate. I realise that dataplates can (and were )
swapped between vehicles, but it could well be that Jim's "Willys/Kaiser"
evidence could in fact be one of these "swapped" plates. It is difficult
after 40 years, to come across a "guaranteed" untouched, unmodified ealy
M151, and the "Fruehauf" tag is so flimsy that there aren't many left.
However, in the archives, I do have a photo (or two) of early M151's (before
Willys/Kaiser produced ANY versions) that clearly show the bulkhead
(firewall) and noticable is a complete absence of the "Budd" body tag.... in
fact, there is NO body tag visible between the hood hinges, which seems to
give credence to the location of the body tag on the passenger-side frame
rail (Fruehauf).
Additionally, I was told (no proof, mind) that Willys/Kaiser produced their
OWN bodies (like AMC/AMG). Is there anyone on the List who has contacts with
or access to the Fruehauf Company????
Just why Ford would use an additional external supplier is open to
question.... (was there any record of an industrial dispute at Budd? Or was
the Army's insistence on delivery timescale and supplements to contracts
responsible for Ford going to other suppliers?)

Jim writes......
<<The first Ford contracts were for more than 9533 jeeps (if I remember
correctly and I'll check on this) >>

Ken writes..........
Well, the first Ford Contract (DA20-018-ORD-21125) was originally awarded for
4,050 M151s, which was subsequently revised to 4,350. A further contract
(DA20-018-ORD-23240) was placed for 7,524 M151 models. This, too was
increased, although there is some debate as to which contract the additional
trucks were counted against.. (TACOM's own records seem to be
incomplete/inaccurate).

Jim writes....
<<Or for that matter, does any lister have, or know of anyone with a M-151
that can get the tag numbers>>

Ken writes.........
I, too, would like to see this........ does anyone have a Ford-built,
Budd-bodied, EARLY M151 (not A1) that would be prepared to post pictures of
the body tag/location showing an EARLY body number?

Keep debating, fellows !!!

kind regards.....
Ken