Cosmoline removal from new PTO

From: Gil Huguley (Gil@huguley.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 21:16:05 PDT

Hi, List:
I just received my brand new PTO from Sam Winer Motors (thank you Robert) and it is covered in a preservative I'm assuming to be cosmoline. (I can hear the vets snickering in the background at my lack of knowledge). Anyhow, I need to clean this thing up before I install it. Is mineral spirits the proper solvent to remove the cosmoline? This thing looks like it was dipped in a vat. How much do I need to clean the interior? Can I just flush it with MS and fill it with 90 wt once I get it installed, or do I need to do a thorough cleaning inside?
Thanks for any advice,
Gil