Re: [MV] Looking for Cushman Trackster

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 05:56:28 PDT

Hi Jon and list:
    My states Civil Air Patrol got a Trackster from Ft. Devens DRMO back in
the mid 80's and disposed of it in the early 90's. Standard Cushman green,
in pretty poor shape. Was used by the MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation)
unit out of Hanscom and then transferred to MWR at Devens on post. Price of
repair parts was what finally did it in. Unit was disposed of by us by
public sale out of Westfield Airport along with a bunch of other gear. It
had a large ROPS type structure on it. I'll check and see if we have any
records left of who the high bidder might have been and ship along the name
if you're interested.
    Don't get your hopes up, but I think I saw some of the old manuals for
it yesterday morning while we were moving from our present bldg. at Hanscom
AFB to our new ( not to be demolished for at least 3 years ) digs. They
might have survived the dumpster because the base originally told us we
would have until Oct 30 to move into "new" asbestos deconned bldg starting
Sept 25. Then showed up Aug 30 and said we had until this past Friday ( but
they don't work weekends , while we do) to be out of our bldg since the
dozers will show up Monday ( today) to turn it into a parking lot. Long term
plan of graceful move with plenty of time to sort and dispose of old stuff
turned into goat rope of just move everything (and we'll sort it out later)
over Labor Day weekend and this one. Of course the "New" bldg had
contractors (office type) working in it during winter and their contract ran
out on 31 Jan 00. So they left at 3:30PM on 31 Jan. Papers and coffee cups
on desk, computers left on, just walked out when the money did. Base FD got
a sprinkler alarm mid March ( gotta drift where this is leading yet). CE was
called by FD and unoccupied bldg was found to have lost heat sometime and
frozen solid. CE shut off water and in May went back to it.They deeded it to
us with promise of complete rehab before we got it. Now we are in but
everything has to be 5 feet away from outside walls so the heating
contractor can get to the pipes around outside walls starting 25 Sept. But
they turned the water back on Friday and the AC works gang busters.
    Oh , in June the AF wanted to know when we (???) planned to move the 135
1962 dated Civil Defense commode sets and the boxes of plastic knives,
forks , spoons and paper plates and plastic water jugs out of the(really
big) room adjacent to our bldgs entrance. When told they weren't ours they
commenced search for "responsible " party . They are still in the room cause
no one can be found to charge the job against. Sleep soundly tonight, cause
the boys with Nuke responsibility can't figure out what to do with 1350
rolls of (1962 vintage Scott) toilet paper unless they can find someone to
bill.

                    Gotta love em. Ron