early m151's

From: JEFF HAIN-MATSON (flmv@flmv.net)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 06:00:05 PDT

Jim Gilmore wrote:

snip

> .
>
> I enjoy a good discussion and always like to see new data and this

> discussion on M-151's is most interesting. I never mind being
corrected
> if my data is incorrect but I like to have it verified by hard facts
and
> data. Some of the statements made bring questions to my mind. Such
as.....

> Ken (muttguru) wrote,
>
> << (Quoting me)Ford Motor Co. did not manufacture the bodies for the
> MUTTS. All
> production bodies for Ford were made by the Budd Co.>>
>
> ........This is incorrect, I'm sorry to say.......
>
> Ken, never be sorry to correct me IF I'm incorrect. I seek the
> facts. If my being wrong gets me the correct data than it's a very
good thing.

> ................. The first batches of the M151 model had
> bodies built by Fruehauf, and I have photos of the Fruehauf body plate
(which
> was NOT located between the hood hinges) to prove it...... they
clearly show
> Fruehauf as the manufacturer along with the contract number and body
> number...............
>
> More very interesting information! Now, I know that Ken knows
his
> stuff but....I have to ask for hard data on the use of Fruehauf bodies
on
> Ford built M-151's. When, how many, how long, and why switch to Budd
Co.
> for bodies? I have (so far) only seen Willys/Kaiser MUTTS with the
> Fruehauf body tag. I have an actual Fruehauf body tag in my
collection
> that I took off the front frame rail of a M-151 along with the (non
Ford)
> dash data plate. The body plate is a thin foil material and reads:
>
> Body by Fruehauf Corp.
> Body serial No. DLD - 9533
> Ordinance assembly 8754459

for what it's worth my straight M151 2B6965 built by ford use's the
following
body:
an aluminum tag on the left front frame rail (would be under the
radiator)
body SN#0493
ord#xxxxxxxxxx
there is no other info on the embossed tag, and no fruehauf foil tag on
the right frame rail.
the body is an early 2 vent on the cowl body with the extra
reinforcement on the floor between the rear of the passenger and driver
seats. also has the extra latch on the tool box door, and the hole on
the rear body for the gas can strap to pass through.
the mutt is:
DATE OF DEL. DEC. 1960
some panels are stamped RUN#1

over the weekend i saw another early bodied m151 with RUN#2 stamped in
some of the panels, and all other features similar to mine. it is
missing its VIN TAG, and there for the SN# and DOD are unknown. the body
# was hidden by the radiator.

> There is no "contract number" on this tag.
>
> Now this body number brings up another question. This plate was
from a
> Willys M-151. Ford had the first contract to produce the M-151. Willys

> later won the contract for additional M-151's. If , as Ken says, "
The
> first batches of M-151model had bodies built by Fruehauf" then why is
the
> body Sn# for this later Willys one such a low number? The first Ford
> contracts were for more than 9533 jeeps (if I remember correctly and
I'll
> check on this) and this body number should have been higher than this
if it
> was from a later contract using the same bodies by Fruehauf. It would
be
> nice to know what the DLD in the body number stood for. Does anyone
on the
> list have a Ford M-151 with a Fruehauf body tag? Or anyone have a Ford

> built M-151/A1/A2 that does not have a Budd built body and that can
verify
> that it has the correct dash data plate? Or for that matter, does any

> lister have, or know of anyone with a M-151 that can get the tag
numbers?

> I also have two other metal body tags (body manufacturer
> unknown) which were mounted on the front frame rail of two other non
Ford
> MUTTs and read only:
>
> Body serial No. 0985
> Ordinance Assembly 8754459
>
> The other tag reads the same but has a serial No. of 0666.
>
> (I have the data plates that match these but I'm at work right now
and
> will be leaving for the Tobyhanna rally as soon as I get off so I
can't
> post the rest of the data until I get back Sunday).
>
> I should note that one must be careful not to find a MUTT with a
> Fruehauf body that has had its data plate replaced with a Ford one and

> assume it is correct. My M-151-A2 is a good example of this. I
replaced
> the entire dash and fire wall with another off a Ford built one with a
Budd
> Sn.# plate still on it. The body is a AMG but a look under the hood

> would show that it had a Budd body. Someday, some other owner may use
this
> as "proof" that AMG used Budd bodies......... This is why as many
jeeps as
> possible should be inspected before anything should be taken as fact.
The
> MUTTs I took these data plates and body plates were in their original
> condition and had been sitting in a surplus yard for many years. Even

> then, hard data should be used to confirm any findings.
>
> BTW...In case you MUTT owners might not know, AMG stands for AM
General

<mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>

--
JEFF HAIN-MATSON