HMMWV Radio Installation

From: Tony Castagno (tcastagno@careerstream.com)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 06:15:08 PDT

Hello List,

Well I finally got to "installing" my RT-524/VRC and R-442/VRC in my HMMWV.
I found my missing instructions and got to it yesterday. My installation
kit was pieced together with the help of Julian Burke (thanks Julian)....
Since It was not one of the ones that come complete sealed in the box, I
have some extra pieces and some potentially missing pieces.... The
instructions I have reference the Interconnector Box that gets bolted inside
of the 524 mount... no problem there, I installed it... not exactly sure
what it does but its snuggly in there... the instructions also reference a
vehicle power conditioner which I can't find... I don't remember this box
being on the mount from my time in the service but at the time I never
really looked very closely at the mount... The cables for the radio I
have, have terminal connectors that I thought just went into the battery box
and connected to a bus bar.... my instructions don't reference that
connection... am I missing something? And could somebody answer the
following.... Is the power conditioner optional? What is the purpose of
the interconnector, how and where do I connect my power cables in the
battery box.... can I connect the 442's antenna cable to an antenna with a
matching base if so, what freq should it be preset to if it matters. Any
help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony