Re: [MV] US Mounted Recon in Italy in WW2

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 05:16:44 PDT

> ...I suppose it does qualify as an original "MV"...
> > Just so long as you don't go trying to "restore" the original 1940's
> horse!!!
> > (Although with the cloning technology out there nowadays, I guess ANYTHING'S
>
> > possible?) :-)
> >
> ***** The Lord Strathcona Horse Museum in Alberta had 6 (?) of their horses
> stuffed (if I said 'mounted' then some wit would joke about an alternate
> meaning) after a vehcile accident killed them. True, they are not 1940s
> production horses, but they are the same model. :-) They had one of these
> horses in a mobile trailer museum at the Abbotsford Air Show last month in
> British Columbia - complete with saddle, and a 'stuffed' soldier (also known
> as a mannequin).

Funny you should mention... My horse lost her left eye to an infection a couple
years ago. At the last GAMVPA meeting, I told another member that I was just
finishing a Reproduction Cavalry horse, about 95% complete, I was just looking
for a left eye & she'd be done. He hadn't seen any for sale at the last parts
swap, but I told him to look out for one at Kansas City. I guess he wasn't able
to find one. =^) Talk about a vehicle that's hard to get parts for...

Actually the Smithsonian has a stuffed horse from the American Civil War. It
was a general's but his name eludes me. I think it is on display in the Museum
of American History. Hmmm... if there was a way to swipe a couple hairs from
the horse, find the lab who cloned those sheep in England, get the hairs to
England... =^P

Later,
Brian Mead