Scout Car progress

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 23:08:32 PDT

Hi list.

Today was one of those Kodachrome days here in Texas; beautiful blue sky, no
clouds with a nice breeze. We finally got enough rain to bring my lawn back
from death's doorstep and things have actually cooled (91 degrees) down a
bit. I was in heaven while finishing the sandblasting on the
chassis.....hardly broke a sweat.

I was going to leave the last 3 feet of the frame untouched since the frame
guy was probably going to have to apply heat to tweak the frame (according
to him) but it occurred to me that if I presented him with a chassis that
looked durned good (and it does look durned good!) he might exercise a
little extra care with it. I have yet to open up the back brakes and
sandblast the inside of the brake backing plates but that little task is so
minor as to be inconsequential.

A buddy of mine has been watching the progress of my Scout with some guarded
interest but it seems the "bug" has bitten him as yesterday he bought a WC13
(1941 Dodge open cab, T211 engine) from the internet, ( EBAY auction
429897366 if you want a peek at it.) It was right here in the San Antonio
area (and I thought I knew where everything was in this country!) Its as
plain as a board fence and double-butt-ugly and painted in the most hideous
shade of green I've ever seen, but it will to be a good truck for him to
hone his skills on as it appears that simple, honest labor will turn it
around. I think the practice hand grenade screwed onto the shifter was the
big selling point! (he grins) :^) My police partner has a WC21
(pretty much the same truck with the T214 engine) and his has been sitting
in his back yard in the same completely unrestored condition he bought it in
5 years ago! The pressure for him to start HIS project IS NOW ON
as no amount of berating from me in the past has gotten him off his
rear-end! And so it goes....y'all know the drill!

Keep em Rolling!

TJ
Sole proprietor and (still) unpaid employee of The Last Chance Garage....