Re: [MV] This weekends important anniversary

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 01:21:45 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "NIGEL HAY" <nigel@milweb.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 16, 2000 11:23 AM
Subject: [MV] This weekends important anniversary

> I thought one of us Brits should remind the list of this weekends
> significance, it is of course the 60th anniversary of the RAF's victory
over
> the Luftwaffe. 530 pilots lost their lives , plus many other RAF
personnel
> and civilians.

Well, you beat me to it Nige. A date that doesn't ever warrant even a
fine-print entry into a pocket diary.

While we're at perhaps a mention of the small but cosmopolitan group of BoB
pilots that included Poles, Canadians, South African, NZ, Australian, Free
French, and often overlooked, a whole (Eagle)(very appropriate) squadron of
individually volunteering Americans well before the infamous date and any
"official" involvement.

Richard
Southampton - England