M103 trailer tongue height?

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 18:47:19 PDT

Ok, I hope this isn't a dumb question, but I don't have experience
with these trailers yet. Does anybody happen to know if the landing
gear on an M103A3 1.5-ton trailer (the same chassis that is used on the
M105, I think) can crank down low enough to couple and uncouple the
trailer from a HMMWV?

I am considering getting an M103A3 generator trailer for use with my
M109A3 2.5-ton shop van. I think it'll be hard to back the trailer
into the hangar where my van lives because of the van's poor
visibility to the rear, and the lack of maneuvering room. My
hangar-mate suggested using his HMMWV to move the trailer in and out
of the hangar. The HMMWV's pintle hook is about a foot lower than the
hook on the 2.5-ton, so I don't think I'd want to haul the trailer on
the road with one, but I don't think the height difference would be a
problem for pushing the trailer around the hangar at low speed, as
long as the landing gear could deal with the low pintle hook.

He also suggested that I could put another pintle hook on the front of
my 2.5-ton, and that sounds sorta interesting...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/