Re: [MV] Mule tires or sub.

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 22:58:28 PDT

> >Again I come seeking knowledge,I recently obtained a great m274a5 but it
> >could use tires,could some one suggest a good substitute tire,or direct
me to
> >a source for original equipment
>
> You can spend much time searching thru tire books and you will come up
with
> very few options for 10" tires. The original tires are still available
from
> a number of sources. You can use atv tires but you will not have the load
> capactity to do anything with it. There are some other 10" tires but they
> are meant for a much heavier vehicle and would be to stiff. If you could
> get or make some of the retrofit 12" wheels then you'll have pages and
pages
> of tire options.
>

> je

I've got a mule that has 7.50x10 forklift tires on it, good traction, plenty
of load cap., and at 10 ply good resistance to punctures. BUT, what a rough
ride!!!!! I only run 5 psi.,with those thick side walls you could run less.
5 psi is enough to keep the tube from getting lost inside.
je is right, I would go with something in 12 in.,the styles and sizes are
endless. I recently saw a Troybuilt lawn tractor that had 9.50x12 wheels
with flat centers. Also saw a small John Deere tractor with similar wheels
on front. If you can find wheels with flat metal centers, the correct size
hole and bolt holes (4.25 center, 5 hole 5.5 bolt circle) can be cut. Some
day I plan to find some wheels that I can fit a 8 x 12 in. tractor lug tire
on. I have some 12x12 wheels that were used on the upgraded mule by the
Army. These are basically the same as trencher wheels. Good flotation, good
traction, better ride, but easier to puncture. For my needs I could go with
a narrower tire with good traction.
Good luck! Keith