OLD '47JEEP STARTS AFTER 28 YEARS a Fantastic Surprise!

From: Rob Pearson (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 07:00:13 PDT

Firstly Hello to all listers:
I'm quite new at this "jeep collecting thing" !
Just quickly, some background info:
I now have 4 jeeps.
Just started collecting this year, April 2000
1] '42 MB Running and registered ok condition This jeep sat ten years in
a well enclosed garage, Saw it start... and bought it!

2] '46 CJ2A - with a "NAPA" rebuilt the engine, needs body work, rusty!

3] '47 CJ2A with bad tub rust. though definitely could be saved. This is
the jeep which started! Being outside, the tire treads had separated from
the casings. I think what has saved this jeep... are the numerous coats of
paint???

4] '47 CJ2A really bad rust and chassis rusted also If you took this one
on... it would be a lot of new metal and chassis repair ...Parts maybe?

I just picked the up the last two, '47s CJ2A's for $100 the pair.
Now more aboutthese two jeeps #3 & #4 ...I got them home Thursday night on a
flatbed. (Both 1947's CJ2As)
Jeep 3 had not run in 28 years.... although the engine turned over freely,
with compression, of course. Firstly, I changed the oil... next, I took a
battery down the yard with some gas, pliers, a 12volt coil. After ten
minutes and connecting the 12volt coil... no spark !

Okay... I couldn't resist hitting the starter button just thought I would
try it, eh?
Next, scraped the white powdery corrosion off the points, and now... lots of
spark! I had to free up the choke and throttle butterfly.
The wife pushed the starter button, (yep! ...she's good for a push now n'
then, as most wives are when you cant reach for it yourself)

I gave the carb., the ol' gas down the throat... a good shot too! Then,
another for good measure... and more, standing by, in an completely "open
mouthed" container.
It turned over sputtered for a couple of times... then it roared into life
and idled happily, like a contented baby on a bottle... Wow!
The seat / floorpan is rusted out however, I propped myself up and slipped
it into reverse and it silently moved through the yard! Unbelievable, not
even any clutch noise are transmission growl !
WHAT a Great Feeling ! This jeep... "last ran 28 years ago... I was truly
surprised... 28 years since it last ran!.

However, next came a surprise.
The spark plugs were so externally rusted, that one porcelain insulator
popped out of it's steel casing, with a huge noise, but the engine, it still
kept running on 3 cylinders until I got out to inspect the noise/clatter. At
this point I was still gliding across the yard.

I wasn't going to stop the jeep at this moment for any noise and clatter, At
this point, I was listeneing intently to the hear the growl of First & Rev.
gears. However, It was a totally silent tranmission, must've been replaced?
Most jeeps this age whine or growl due to extreme wear. (it's 53 years old,
and although you can drive them forever, who say's they wont be noisy, eh !)

The rust however, is a problem until I start to cut and weld the body/tub.
Now to start the engine of, jeep # 4 ...but that wont be for a few weeks
yet... I've other things have to do!

Finally, at the right price... I need (two) head lights / hinged brackets.
I saw some at Tobyhanna swap meet a few weeks back and the price
surprisingly, was less than I thought... $35.00 each although it was the
"last " day of the swapmeet and some vendors just don't want to keep
repacking their goodies to take back home???

Anyway, Over the years I've started many many engines. Using the
open mouth container will catch, if there were an odd spark from a backfire.
But it will not explode. This pccurrs when you use a can of any
description... any description, where there are fuel and air mix/vapors
above the liquid in what would be an enclosed container! The, beware! It
will catch with a fuel spraying boom!

A funny memory here... from when I was a kid in Liverpool, Sydney,
Australia.
Don't do this at home Don't don't don't...
But, as a kid we would love to explode cans full of fuel vapor. The noise
was terrific Dogs would howl for 20 minutes ! Birds would leave their nest,
Rabbits wouldn't venture out for days, Owls would fall out of their tree
still asleep. (well, most of that's true !)

comes floating back hereThe ol' "gallon can" wasn't safe anymore ! Infact,
they were hard to find
around our place because we would blow 'em to bits ! Then, we progressed to
anything that would hold fuel vapors and allow us to tightly insert a spark
plug... the final straw was our Dad's metal tool box. This actually threw
wrenches all over the yard.

After that, My father confiscated all of our old ignition coils, old car
batteries and odd used spark plugs. however,there were times we would bury
the cans and watch the earth go "thump" The shed would shake a bit then we
would dig up the the can or drum so inspect the damage. WE always wanted to
try blow some fish out of the pond... but we never did get the water proof
model into production.

However, eventually, all boyish pranks would be given up in the persuit of
the more fairer things in life. Like sneaking a smoke or a beer behind the
shed ...and trying to lure the neighbors daughter back to behind the shed to
show her our ignition sytems???? ...and that's a different story! Must've
been ok though. These days, she never follows me behind the shed anymore...
she say's, the grandkids are just too nosy! Oh well !
Back to the jeeps!
Be in touch...