Re: [MV] How to get your way (sometimes)

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 08:53:07 PDT

Awhile back we were asked by Lee Holland to keep a low profile on this HR
4205 problem and let him do his job, working alone and diplomatically within
channels.
At the time, many agreed that perhaps it's best to let others do this sort of
thing. Others that were in a better position to effect change without
alienating high officials.

I and a number of other like minded people respectfully disagreed and
suggested this is one of those situations where a multisided effort works
best. The proof is in the pudding folks!

We suggested you (politely) write in, call in, e-mail, lobby, etc... in short
do whatever it takes to get the job done! Lee suddenly has the backup from a
lot of concerned taxpayers and that strengthens his hand. But, to encourage
a multisided effort takes a certain amount of trust and faith in your people.
 You can't fear them as loose cannons operating with half a brain, you have
to know and trust them for who they really are. Fact is, we're decent,
concerned citizens with a lot of valuable life experience. I could think of
no better group of people to take government to task.

We won this round and I am convinced we did it because of all the fuss that
was created. Lee did a yoemans job and contributed greatly to the end
result, so I sure don't wish to take anything away from him for his efforts,
but he was not alone and he should not have been alone.

When it comes to things like this surplus bill about to go into law, you
gotta pull out the all stops. In American politics, it's the squeaky wheel
that gets greased time and again.

We should not become the "silenced" majority for fear of offending our
overseer's. Not here, not anywhere.

Congratulations to Lee Holland and everyone who did their bit and brought
about our success.

Now lets fix this stupid import form 6 business!

.... Jack (Voting Bush) Lee