US Army WWII Era M-151A1

From: Jim Rice (majrice@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 09:09:31 PDT

Guys, when it comes to the army and soldiers, it isn't any use trying to
correct them. I used to drive my GPW, M-38A1 or M-151A1 to work on Fort
Sill fairly regularly, at least once a week. It never failed, I would
always have some active duty NCO tell me he drove "that jeep" when I first
came in the army. It didn't matter which one I drove. The only guys that
seemed to know the difference were some of the retired guys that were
working as DA Civilians. They were much more prone to realize what was
what. One day, while talking to one NCO about my GPW (which we were
standing beside), he told how he had driven one "just like it" in 1975 as a
private." I tried to tell him the difference and that it was an M-151 he
had driven. I even allowed that to many folks, they do look very similar.
He then proceeded to argue with me that no, he drove one "Just like yours."
Even when I showed him the data plate dated 1943, he disagreed. I gave up
and finally said,OK.

Unless you really like the stuff, it is just another vehicle to an 18 year
old private or 22 year old LT....even if you are the drive or maintain the
stuff. It is very much like my wife that for years called my howitzers,
tanks. To her, they all looked the same.

Regards,

Jim