Re: [MV] Sd kfz 245

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 09:08:45 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "jim gilmore" <jgilmore@oeonline.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 5:48 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Sd kfz 245

> >...........Best regards
> >Andreas
> >-Sd.Kfz 2 owner- ................
>
> Since we're on a Sd. Kfz. topic........
>
> I own a Sd. Kfz. 245 that needs a few parts. Anyone know of any
> others or a source of manuals or parts. I only know of one other which is
> in a museum and was the subject of a "Nuts and Bolts" booklet.

I think that's a typo for Sd.Kfz 254, a wheel-cum-track vehicle, a little
different from popping down to NAPA for your jeep parts. . . . . . . . . .

As best I know there are only two, both built June 40 - March 41. of a total
manufacture of 128 examples that went directly to Russia and N.Africa where
they were all lost. Powered by a Saurer diesel it has no parts common to
any other Wehrmacht vehicle and none have been seen in Europe.

> Mine is located here in Michigan (US) and was formerly known as the
> "Czech Freedom Tank". Anyone old enough to remember it on the Ed Sullivan
> TV Show or the Today Show in the 1950's?

Yes, but no. I thought it was once offered to the gentleman who did the
vehicles for Saving Ryan's Privates, but I could be mistaken.

I do know some of the serious German WWII restorers and collectors here but
don't get your hopes up about parts or anything, frankly its heaps easier to
find a complete engine and transmission for a PzKpfw VI Ausf. B, Sd.Kfz 182.

Richard
Southampton - England