Clutch problem?

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 00:21:26 PDT

Here is a partial message from a friend who has a mule problem. I believe
his problem may be the early stages of a bad clutch. For curosity sake I'd
like to know what the rest of you mulers think. Thanks, Keith

>However, I must say that up until now my Mule has actually been a Jackass
for quite sometime. Currently though (after replacing the magneto,
carburetor, spark plugs, intake manifold hoses and clamps, fuel pump, first
gear in the transmission, hand brake cable, wheel bearings and steering
knuckel in both front tires, steering gear, tie rods and a set of new
tires!) it does seem that I may actually now have a Mule. But I do have a
question for you. Although my A5 now seems to be running very well and has
a good bit of power .....when I try to travel up steep grades similar to the
ones we experienced with you ....the only gear that I can use to climb that
kind of grade is first gear in the low position. It is my feeling that the
Mule should be able to climb steep grades in at least second gear. Again,
when I am on level ground this Mule will now fly .....but I am bothered by
the loss of power when you try to ascend up even the shortest of a grade
that may be 20-25%.

I have been through the mill with this machine and feel confident that I
have it timed properly and have the carburetor adjusted properly. And of
course, these as well as several other items are all new components.

Since you are very experienced with these machines ......what is your take
on this?<