Re: [MV] A second posting for help.......The ID info.

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 18:56:25 PDT

In a message dated 10/9/00 8:23:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
rkltd@fullnet.net writes:

<< Reo built the first ones in 1952. M35's only
 Studebaker built them from 1953 to 1964 approx. M35's & M35A1's
 Curtis-wright built also in that era, i never found out when exactly
 Kaiser built them from 1964 to 1970. M35A1's & M35A2's
 A.M. General built them from the fall of 1970 to the end
 a interesting note Reo was bought by Studebaker which was bought by
 Kaiser which was bought by A.M.C. which A.M.General was a division of.
 when A.M.C. went under A.M. General split off and became its own company >>

This close, but not quite right.

Studebaker merged not with Reo, but with Packard. You can find deuces built
by Studebaker-Packard.

Studebaker
Studebaker-Packard
Curtiss-Wright
Kaiser
General Products Div of American Motors
AM General

All were built in the Ex-Studebaker facility in South Bend, Indiana (since
vacated by AM General except for the proving grounds).

Reo Motors was in Lansing, Mi. I don't have the detail on the following as
committed to memory as I did the Studebaker lineage. But it goes something
like...
Controlling interest in both Reo Motors (founded by Ransom E. Olds, of
Oldsmobile fame) and Diamond T was bought by White Motor Company. And became
Diamond-Reo. The business still didn't prosper, and was sold, eventually
being owned by there largest dealer (in Pennsylvania, I think). The part of
this paragraph I am uncertain of is whether Reo and Diamond T got together
before or after White came into the picture.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
member
MVPA