[MV] Form 97

From: Damon Gentile (damonfg@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 05:53:05 PDT

I need to chime in on this one.

In October, Dr. Mo sold me 2 M332 1.5T trailers.
No title, I just dragged them home with the
paid receipt from battle creek.

Late november I picked up a M54 5T, same DRMO,
different base. The SF97 had at least one
"UNK" on it (manufacturer).

When I went to pick up the 5T, I asked if I
could get SF97s for the two trailers. I
gave the woman the sales listing and added
in the serial numbers & build dates from
the trailers. When I left the DRMO with the
5-ton, I had all 3 SF97s.

In my state (Maine) we don't need titles
on trailers nor on vehicles before 1986.
I registered the trailers using the sales
receipt from battle creek, no problem.
(Ok i regiestered only one trailer, the
registration seems to be interchangeable!)

I registered the 5T... A little more interesting.
When I got insurance I said it was an
'International Harvester' taking my best
guess. (also figuring it would be a crossover
name that made heavy rigs and little trucks)
I registered it with the Int'l insurance
card (showing the M54 vin) and the SF97
(same VIN, manufacturer was 'unk'). Registered
easy. I applied for an "antique" title.

The "antique" title was denied on 2 counts,
both attributable to the rookie DMV clerk.
One reason was I did not submit photos (
I didn't know I needed to) and the other
reason was the clerk kept the copy of the
SF97, and not the original. They did not
mention having the "UNK" manufacturer as
an issue, and the antique plate is rated
for a full 39,960 GVW.

RMV wasn't a cakewalk, but on my last trip,
I dealt with a girl who was obviously brand
spankin' new and didn't know enough to question.
First reg is the only hard one....

I will say that the folks at my local DRMO
are certainly not daredevils, but they are
willing to help and pretty nice folks if
you are nice and it doesn't hurt to play
dumb once in a while.

Getting boned on a batch of SF97s is a
different story.

If someone needs a clear title on a pre-86
vehicle drop me a line off list.

-Damon