Re: [MV] Form 97....reality check...

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 09:12:05 PDT

Cougarjack@aol.com wrote:
> As long as the vehicle has a unique identifier, who cares what year
> it was made?

It makes a big difference in some states. In California, an M35 made in
1975 or earlier may be registered as a historical vehicle, and thus no
weight fees will be required. My 1972 deuce costs $41 per year for
registration. If my truck was made after 1975, it would have to be
registered as a commercial vehicle, and it would cost me over $1000
per year!

Ironically, an unknown date on the SF97 seems to be much less of a
problem in CA than in NJ. When I initially went to the DMV, the lady
at the window didn't care about the date being unknown, because that
has to be verified by a VIN inspector anyway. I made an educated guess
that my AM General deuce was made in 1972 based on its contract number
and other date stamps on vehicle components, and the VIN inspector
accepted my reasoning and declared it to be a 1972 truck. A recent
posting on this thread mentioned that an "N" in the registration
number makes it a 1972 truck, and my truck's registration number
starts with "NKO", just like the example given, so it looks like my
educated guess was right!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/