Re: [MV] Harley Military Motorcycle

From: Demonware Restorations (INDYN@xtra.co.nz)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 21:35:24 PDT

> On page 47 of the current catalogue from Franklin Mint is an interesting
> model of an (alleged) Harley-Davidson WLA Military Motorcycle. I'm just
> wondering is there is/was such a beast. Thought this might be of interest.
>
> David

Yes there sure is. I haven't received the latest catalogue yet but if New
Zealand catalogues are similar to US ones the WLA has been for sale for some
time in Franklin Mint Books. Americans mainly used WLA Harleys (oh yuk that
name makes me cringe) during the war. They did use XA Harleys, however only
1000 were built and mainly operated by Allied Forces in North Africa. WLA's
were more common than the Indian M741B (Now there's a real bike) and Indian
M840 and M841 however general concensus between dispatch riders was that
they liked the Indian M741B better even though it was only 500cc as opposed
to Harleys 750cc.

Adam North
RNZAF Police Ret.
Demonware Restorations