Re: [MV] A2's cheap in Saigon/ Importation

From: Brandon Kunicki (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 10:28:35 PDT

As repatriated captured equipment, I could see how the
state department might feel that the US still holds
title to them.....

The US Navy has recently won a lawsuit against a
collector (Doug Champlin- Mesa, Arizona) that wanted
to salvage a Douglas TBD Devastator that has been
sitting at the bottom of the ocean since the war. This
could/would have been the ONLY remaining Devastator on
dry land in the world.

This collector has spent hundreds of thousands of US
dollars to find this aircraft (and pay attorneys to
fight the US Navy), so he won't give the navy the
location unless his expenses are covered. Instead,
this aircraft is doomed to further deteriorate until
it is no more.

Thank you US Navy for dedicating so much time and
effort to the worthy cause of preventing this
important historical artifact from ever being put on
display for future generations to appreciate. I'm sure
the veterans appreciate your efforts as well.....

Importation info on "Gray Market" cars from other than
Canada can be found here:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/gray0006.htm
I don't pretend to be able to interpret all this
however.... :-)

Value? $2,000+ for a runner depending on condition.
Maybe $8,500 for a nice restored one.

Brandon