[MV] Jeep Carburetor

From: Brown, Herb (BRown@ida.org)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 07:08:54 PDT

List,

While rebuilding my 1945 MB carburetor, I found that the "pump Arm spring"
was broken with at least four-fifths (or more) missing. Also, the "metering
rod" has some very slight bends in the tapered portion. The rebuild kit
did not include this spring nor the metering rod.

I have 2 questions:

1) The spring in question is intended to put pressure on the accelerator
pump while providing for the delay as fuel is metered out of the pump
system's orifice. This assures the air/gas mixture does not become too lean
as the butterfly opens up. Does anyone know where to get this spring? I
have called a couple of the usual sources, with no luck so far.
Alternatively, I have found several sources of small springs, but I don't
have any idea of the spring constant used for this application. The
remaining portion of the spring was very stiff and stretched-out. If you
don't know of a source, can you at least give me an Idea of the stiffness of
this spring?

2) Photos of the metering rod all show the tapered rod end to be straight.
Is this rod normally straight, and if not does anyone know where I can get
one? If not, how much risk is there in trying to straighten this using
several brass shims between the jaws of a vice?

Thanks for any help in advance, Herb