Overseas shipping- I got screwed! A warning...

From: Brandon Kunicki (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 18:36:06 PDT

Dear fellow listers.....

Sorry to bring up such a sour grapes subject, but I
would like to issue a warning:

NEVER have a shipment sent freight collect (freight
forward)!

My purpose for putting this on the list is two-fold.
First to warn others about this situation and this
particular deceitful individual, and secondly to
inform anyone contemplating importation about some of
the hidden and surprising fees in the import business
(racket).

Below are some communications I've had with the
shipping agent. Had I pre-paid the shipping, the price
would have been what was agreed upon. Since I was in a
rush (I was already waiting a month for sea freight
transit time- to save money...), I agreed to have my
parts shipped freight collect.

The end result of this was that I was overcharged
about 30%. While the total cost wasn't much, it causes
the profits I anticipated from selling the extra parts
I bought to approach zero. I have subsequently
discovered that I could have saved about another 20%
over the original quote had I shopped around a little
more. Please get at least 3 quotes for any shipping,
domestic or international!

Other fees to ask about: Since this was the first time
I had ever imported anything, many of the fees were a
surprise to me. I tried to detail these up front, but
wasn't very successful.

Shipping (Ocean or Air Freight)
Foreign Fee
Transfer Fee
Terminal Fee
Forklift Fee
Import Duties (not required to re-import American
manufactured goods)

I hope my mistake can be used as a learning experience
for others.

I would also like to apologize in advance to those who
would chastise me for attempting to publicly discredit
someone over a personal matter. I am at a loss as to
what else I could do that would have any positive
influence on this persons future actions.

In closing, I have never had cause to be disappointed
with any dealings I've had with people on this list or
in the HMV hobby in general. You have universally been
among the the finest individuals I've met!

Thanks,

Brandon (still pissed about this....)

E-mail sent 6/23/00:
Dear Andrew,

There has still been no resolution (or even contact
made with me) on this matter after more than a month
since your last e-mail.

Please advise me on what my next step should be.

Thank you,

Brandon Kunicki