Re: [MV] M-880

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 16:35:46 PDT

At 06:54 PM 10/14/00 -0400, you wrote:

>List:
>
>Why for does the M-880 get such poor fuel
>mileage?
>
>Its not an M-35.
>It doesn't have 5.87 axle gears.
>The 318 V8 is not a bad motor.
>Its not the first time these numbers (5 - 5.5) have been
>mentioned with reference to the M-880.
>Is it typical of the 880s?

M-886 is the 4WD Ambulance configuration, and I believe the
variant for which the fuel numbers were quoted.

The 886's are full-time 4x4 (that is, no 'Warn' hubs to
lock or unlock), are *very* heavy, and, despite the domed
cab-top to allow for the walk-through nature of the vehicle, seem
to otherwise possess the wind coefficient of a backhoe.

I remember mine doing better than the 5.5 mpg quoted, but that'd
be on the highway, sucking up the larger Imperial variety
of the gallon, and less any carried load.

Andy Hill
Vancouver, B.C.
MVPA 9211