RE: [MV] over-rev, injection pumps, m35a2, deuces in general ..................

From: Rikk Rogers (rkltd@fullnet.net)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 19:42:01 PDT

Mark,

If you have TM 9-2910-226-34 look at figure 3-36 on page 3-28.
Part H is the "Fuel control unit", it is not clear in the picture but this
is essentially 2 pieces.
One piece is a hollow tube with a small flat plate on the end with 2 holes
going the same direction as the tube. (looking down from the top it would
look like a T).
The other is a rod passing thru the tube with a flat piece on the end, (from
the side it would look like an L).
These 2 pieces together (the rod leg of the L passing thru the tube Leg of
the T) form the "Fuel control unit".
 Under the "Timing window cover" (where the kill cable connects) when you
see this part
you are looking into the top of the T and the foot of the L.
The T has a hole in each ear and the L has a hole in the toe.
The holes form what David Doyle described to me as the T, a hole in each ear
holds it in place,
with the Rod pivoting at the cross.
The rod that the "Kill" hooks when you pull it comes thru the end of the leg
of the T
(viewed from the "Timing window cover") and this provides the spring that
moves the leg.
Not a very strong "spring" at that.

The tolerance is in the thousandths, and fuel is the lubricant.
My truck sat for something around 5 years, the fuel glued the 2 pieces
together.
When we broke the "glue" it was still stiff enough that it would not move by
the "spring"
action.

When I pulled it the fix, after all the questions was to soak it in B12 for
several hours
and then in a penetrating oil with Teflon.
When I installed it, it was still slightly stiff for about 20 minutes,
making the foot feed seem
sluggish.
After it warmed a bit, all ran well.

I think this can only happen when the truck sits for long enough for the
internal motor parts to "DRY",
not a symptom you would find on a working truck.

Note, if we had not had someone under the hood, and I had started it with
the timing cover off, by the time I could get out, go around, and shut it
down, she would have gone up like a bomb.

If not fore David and Ram, I would have sent the pump out fro a rebuild, or
worse torn it up my self.

Rikk Rogers
RK Lion LTD.
(580)762-3157