Re: [MV] Electrical question

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 02:43:37 PDT

In case those other answers were a bit confusing, just multiply the required
voltage by the maximum current in amps that will be demanded, add about 10%,
and that will be your total wattage. Use the generator that's closest to that
size, keeping in mind the fact that a diesel gen set likes to run loaded. In
other words, a set twice the required size would be inefficient. Using your
figures of 208 volts, and a couple of light trays, it would look something
like this:
20 amp run current for air conditioner @ 208 volts=4160 watts, add
approximately 80 watts each for every 2 bulb flourescent tray, than add 10%
of the TOTAL wattage for breathing space, and you have it! (208 volt
flourescent fixtures may be hard to find as most are 240 volts these
days...check the ballast labels to see if they are also tapped to run on 208
volts) This comes out to somewhere close to 5 KW, and since military gen sets
are under rated, you'd be fine with a 5 KW set. Also note that data plate
current draw is usually running current, NOT starting current. A higher start
current is implied. I suspect that your unit actually uses 28.5 amps running.
If I'm wrong, will some electrician please correct me?
Ain't electricity fun?

snip snip....
>>The A/C is 208 volt 3 phase, 60 cycle. It has a 28.5 amp requirement.
My question is what size generator will be needed to power this? What size
would I need to also power the few (8 two bulb fixtures) fluorescent lights
in the van body?