HMMWV Engine whine

From: J Brennan (brennan1968@home.com)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 17:55:26 PDT

I Have a '93 M1038 HMMWV. When it heats up to around 190+ degrees I start
hearing a whining sound. The sound is linked to the RPM's of the engine.
That is as I press the pedal the whine pitch goes higher and lower as I let
off the pedal. I also hear it change pitch as I turn the steering wheel.
I've checked fluids in the automatic transmission and the power steering
reservoir and both are fine. I've tried listening to exactly where it's
coming from but the diesel engine is to load to get a lock on it. When I
first start it up and drive it it's fine until it hits 190+ degrees. Any
thought? Thanks.

John Brennan
'93 M1038 HMMWV