Re: [MV] HMMWV Engine whine

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 18:26:00 PDT

"J Brennan" <brennan1968@home.com> wrote:
> I Have a '93 M1038 HMMWV. When it heats up to around 190+ degrees I start
> hearing a whining sound. The sound is linked to the RPM's of the engine.
> That is as I press the pedal the whine pitch goes higher and lower as I let
> off the pedal. I also hear it change pitch as I turn the steering wheel.

Hmm, if turning the steering wheel affects it, then I suspect it's
something in the power steering system. I don't think it's the
steering pump itself, because then the pitch would be affected only by
the engine RPM (unless its belt was slipping, but that should be very
obvious). Does the sound seem to come from the engine compartment
directly in front of the driver's window? It may just be the fluid
moving through the fan control solenoid valve. The fan control valve
in my truck (a 1986 M998) makes a hissing sound, which stops when the
fan is on (because the valve is closed then). I don't know why it
doesn't start until the engine is mostly warmed up.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/