re: M35a2 fuel pump

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 04:46:20 PDT

In a message dated 10/16/00 3:12:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
rickw_17030@yahoo.com writes:

<< The in-tank fuel pump on my deuce quit today. >>

Do you know it quit because you no longer hear it running? IF so....
I bet the FUSE (the only one on the truck) has blown. There is a square
"block" on top of the fuel pump. The power lead to the pump connects to this
block. If you undo the 4 screws that hold the block on (with master power
switch OFF) the fuse will be exposed. Check it. Leading causes of fuse
blowing is sludge intank, debris getting past filter and running dry. You
can remove fuel pump by undoing the numerous screws at the top, and fuel
supply line and pulling it straight up. Some body styles require the tank to
be slid out for clearance. The pump and screen are at the bottom of this
assembly, I have cleaned them up with solvent and they've gone back to
working.
IF however you can still hear the pump run, but get no output, probably the
piece of rubber fuel line that is inside the tank running from the fuel pump
to the top of the fuel tank has a hole in it. Usual symptom is pump quits
pumping before tank is empty.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle