Re: [MV] Paint

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 10:38:36 PDT

Demonware Restorations wrote:

> Stop complainin guys, not long ago I did up a VW Beetle (yuk) and I had to
> sand of thirteen different coats of paint, Apart from the house paint,
> automotive paint and fence paint, the last coat on the car resembled .....

When I am confronted by this type of stripping problem, multiple coats,
some flaking, some epoxy, some enamel, some unknown, I go down to my
local professional paint store and get a 5 gallon pail of Peel Away
(Automotive) and the fiberglass fabric used with it. I then proceed to
glopp the stuff on the vehicle with a coarse throw away brush, making
sure to slather seams and crevices well, I then spread the fiberglass
fabric onto the custardy goop. I then go have a few beers, barbeque
something, more beers, watch the 10:00PM news, go to bed, and 24 hours
later, peel the fabric, paint and all (up to about 15 layers) off the
vehicle, neatly fold the fabric up with the paint inside, and throw the
bundle into the dumpster! The stuff is fantastic. No sanding dust, no
unwanted swirls when the rotary grinder gets out of hand, the stuff
pulls paint out of crevices, and it takes it ALL off. Even the milk
based coatings of the 20's and 30's. Clean up is a dream and putting it
on is not bad as it is not overly volatile and is not methylene chloride based.

I highly recommend it.

Mel Miller
2 X M725