Re: [MV] Paint

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 09:20:44 PDT

Don medon wrote:
> Just a question or 2. I assume that peel-away is for
> working on steel. Any advise for the alumininum parts
> on my land rover? It has had at least 10 paint jobs on
> it, in many shades of green. Also, after you strip the
> paint, is there something that you put on the bare metal
> right away before you paint it?
>
> Thanks again for the advice
> Don Medon

Don,

Peel Away (TM) works on wood, masonry and all types of metal normally
encountered on HMV's. There is a version for automotive use. Whenever
you have bare metal you do not want to leave it exposed to the air for
long before coating it with something. Obviously steel or aluminum in
Nevada can be left bare much longer than on the Gulf Coast of Texas!
What that something is will be determined by the preparation directions
for the finish coat you will be using.

I have not coated much aluminum in my career but there is a greenish
primer I have often seen applied to aluminum in the marine environment
(Zinc Chromate??? anyone?, anyone?) The important thing is to get the
manufacturers specifications for surface preparation and be prepared to
follow them religiously before starting to strip!

Good Luck,
Mel Miller
2 X M725