Re: [MV] Paint

From: Robert Barber (rbarber41@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 11:16:28 PDT

  Mel

>I have not coated much aluminum in my career but there is a greenish
>primer I have often seen applied to aluminum in the marine environment
>(Zinc Chromate??? anyone?, anyone?) The important thing is to get the
>manufacturers specifications for surface preparation and be prepared to
>follow them religiously before starting to strip!

  OK here we go having done this more times that I care to remember
  in my youth aboard Navy Tin-Cans...

   After you remove the old paint with a chipping hammer or the like
  the aluminum surface is wire brushed to remove any remnants.

  It is then coated with what is called Formula 117 acid etch
  which was a translucent green goop that you mixed 1 part acid
  to 4 parts base. It stopped all corrosion but would make you higher
  that an F14 at altitude if were exposed to it too long..

  Then the surface got a double coating of yellow gree Zinc Chromate
  as as base coat and then a coat of good ol' haze grey enamal..

                                      Bob B