M35 Engine Surging

From: m35a1@juno.com
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 14:17:28 PDT

I just got the engine started and running in my latest m-109 shop van.
It's an LDT-1 (I think), with the turbo. It wouldn't start, I couldn't
get fuel to come out of the distribution head to the injector lines. Read
here about someone who had the reverse problem (wouldn't shut down), so I
tried looking into the same area for repairs. Took out the distribution
head, and found a small (1/4") top-hat shaped metal obect down in the
hole, along with a spring washer thing that held the top-hat onto the
bottom of the distributer shaft (I don't know what else to call these
things). Got another spring washer thing, re-assembled it, and it
started. Yay. But, after running for about a minute, it began to surge,
hi and low. Had to pull the throttle out to get it to run at all, at a
high idle, and it still surges, but not as hi-and-low. If I let it idle
at normal speed, it will surge hi, then drop down and quit. It does this
each time I start it, runs okay for about a minute, then the surging
starts.
Any ideas on how to solve this one?
Ken
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!