Distributor Question

From: INDUSTELE@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 18:36:42 PDT

I've been feverishly working on finishing up a M422A1 Mighty Mite to take to
a local gun show and to our club rally two weeks later. Got it all dolled up
and the beast refused to start to drive out of the garage. It drove in a
couple of weeks ago.

Checked all the usual suspects, and finally found no spark at the plugs.
Pulled distributor head and found pretty little arc from the center post to
#4 everytime the points opened.

Question #1 - is the top part of all military 24 volt distributors the same.
They "look" alike, but I don't know. If they are, does anyone have a spare
top only? If they're not does anyone have a spare M422 A1 distributor top or
whole thing?

Question #2 - failing in all of the above, has anyone ever tried to repair
arc crack with something like RTV Silicone? Certainly be cheaper if it would
work. I've used it on some high voltage AC gear before for additional
insulation, but not primary insulation.

Suggestions appreciated, jibes tolerated, thanks.

Tom Campbell - Birmingham, Alabama