Re: [MV] M-578 Arrives!

From: Jim Rice (majrice@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 10:28:38 PDT

It is a tracked cargo carrier with tracks.....a five ton on tracks if you
will. They are a maintenance nightmare. The Field Artillery folks used
them for years as ammunition carriers for 155mm and 8 inch self propelled
howitzer units.

They also make nice little fragments when they catch on fire while carrying
8inch high explosive ammuntion! In the early 80's one did just that at Ft
Sill, Oklahoma. I don't think there was a piece much bigger than 1x2 feet
left. Unfortunately, I've only seen pictures and heard about it from folks
that were there.

Jim Rice
Redleg in Medicland