Re: [MV] Ford Explorers, centers of gravity, Milvehs & idiots.

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 08:33:37 PDT

At 10:12 PM 10/24/00 -0800, Bryan Rupp wrote:

> For those that missed it go to http://www.msnbc.com/news/480570.asp for
an online version of the
>story at NBC's web page. I have been dealing with lifted Jeeps and SUV's
for over ten years and have
>always understood the if a vehicle has a higher center of gravity it will
be a lot easier to flip. I
>sure wouldn't take a corner in my M211 at the same speed I would in a
sports car. :-)

Actually, I just came back from a movie location halfway to Whistler, B.C.,
and the road
is the typical mountain-variety kind of half-carved into the mountainside
and half-perched
upon it.

The first day I had the M54, and the second day the M1009. The M54
handled the corners
faster and better than the 1009 did each and every time. This isn't the
first time I've noted it
(I've driven M-series biggies for something like fifteen years), but I
can't think of another
road that reinforces the feeling quite like the Sea-to-Sky Highway (i.e.,
about every twelve
feet.)

I think some drivers might be a bit over-used to some sort of sense of
well-being when driving
their trucks empty, and when they have a B-train with a tall load of
lumber, still hang the
off-ramps as if they were empty. We get a glimpse of that sort of thing
quite regularly on
the local highway system, with the driver invariably sitting on top of the
mess of fibreglas
that used to be the cab, scratching his head in bewilderment.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.