Re: [MV] Something completely different

From: Robert Barber (rbarber41@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 14:18:24 PDT

Well kids its kinda like this ....

CASE 1 IF the boat was acquired from the US Navy guess what ??
It still belongs to the US government and is on LOAN to
the non-profit that requested it and was granted limited
possession .. So if the squabbling doesn't stop guess who
will step back into the situation and remove the boat. I can
name at least 5 different outfits that have military vessels
or aircraft on loan from the government. They at their own risk
invest funds into restoration of these units.. But their retaining
possession of the unit is still at the whim of Uncle Sam...

CASE 2 The boat was acquired by or was donated to the museum
from a private individual with LEGAL title to the boat.. If that's
the case and the boat was not re-sold or no paperwork of acknowledged
transfer of the asset transpired to these people, the museum still has legal
possession of ownership..

In Both cases no "volunteer" irregardless of how much money or time they
have invested is entitled to obtain any financial compensation other than
writing their time and financial "donations" off on their taxes ..

The only way anyone has a right to place a "mechanics lean" against
the boat is if they can produce a signed contract between them and
the designated signing authorities of the museum for either a fixed amount
contract or a Time & Materials contract for restoration services ...

Other than that the volunteers are SOL especially if they have written penny
one off on their taxes either for funds, items or time "donated" to the
restoration. We had a similar situation occur in our non-profit 501-C
aircraft historical group. We had a group of volunteers, who volunteered to
paint our C-47. This they did at their own cost.. Then
two years down the road because of political infighting they came
back at the organization for compensation

It went to court, they lost. first they were dues paying members of the
group, not an outside contractor. We subpoenaed their tax records, they had
written x funds off against their personal taxes. Plus we produced
witnesses that they originally acknowledged that this was a volunteer
effort for a non-profit group when the OK for them to do the paint job was
approved by the board of directors..

So if it keeps getting ugly that's how you beat them at their own game.
If you need more info contact me.

                                     Bob B