Re: [MV] dead horse

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 07:16:51 PDT

>Yeah, this rumor of the $50 jeep just never goes away. I used to hear it
>from people back in Pennsylvania in the 1950s. And they always swore they
>had a friend or relative that actually bought one. I got excited the first
>few times. But if you try to trace it down it never works out.

I tracked down the orignal owner of the MB I bought two years ago. He
bought it new in 1946 from a government depot in Cleveland for $800. He had
aswered an add in the back of a magazine and then went there with two other
relatives. He paid for it and was given a number. They went up and down
rows and rows of jeeps till he found his number. There were no hood numbers
btw, I assume that they were never actually entered into army inventory.
The three of them drove the jeep back to northern Wisconsin, a several day
trip he said. This is the closest story I have ever come across from
someone who ACTUALLY bought a surplus jeep and had the jeep to show for it.
Actually $800 in 1946 was alot of money and a far cry from $50.

later,

je