Re: [MV] Crated Jeeps

From: Eugene PANTANO (snoshu@market1.com)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 09:17:08 PST

YES THEY DID !!!
As I mentioned one time before...back in the 50's...they were very
definitely sold cheap...BUT - in lots of 10 or so. My boss bought into a lot
with a bunch of his hunting buddies...It was a Texaco Gas Station on the
corner of Hylan Blvd and Lincoln Avenue in Staten Island, NY.
The Jeeps were in crates...we took one down to the beach on a trailer and
knocked the box apart and burned it there on the beach..Midland Beach. Four
of us assembled the Jeep right there..put gas in it...pushed it with a '49
Ford and it started...!! It was GPW..Ford.
Total cost to each guy "per Jeep"..was about $38. The lot they got was 10
Jeeps. If I remember right, they came right from the local gunnery/Air Base
there in Midland Beach....or possibly Fort Wadsworth. Fort Wadsworth was
it..There was a rail head there for loading equipment onto ships..and also
lots of storage areas. I have personal knowledge of rifles stored there
from the Civil War..that ARE STILL THERE in bunkers...My sister and
brother-in-law worked on the Verazanno Bridge--the footings are on Fort
Wadsworth !! Hope this helps..Gene