Re: [MV] MV blackout lites

From: Demonware Restorations (INDYN@xtra.co.nz)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 15:19:53 PST

> I have several MV blackout/taillights that are corroded inside and the
bulbs
> can't be removed. Any suggestions of solvent or procedure to clean these
> up.

Steve.

Are these the same inner unit found on Jeeps, GMC trucks and Indians etc?
It totally depends on what you want to do with the lights.

If the bulbs are blown, you can still get the complete bulb unit, or if you
live 'off the beaten track' (such as I do in New Zealand) the case can be
opened with some gentle pursuasion from a hacksaw and a new bulb soldered
into place (this is also a good idea if changing between 6,12 and 24 volts.
I in no way condone 'butchering' or destroying of parts, but find the best
way to repair the old ones when money and parts are scarce.

If cleanup is all you require. I find elbow grease better than anything
else. Emery paper (wet and dry abrasive paper) is good for the casing, as is
tinoxide paste (find it at a rock and gem shop) and the best for cleaning up
glass lights is either Brasso or toothpaste..... Naturally this is for the
outside only. A good tinsmith or metalworker will be able to extract the
bulbs for you and replace them if necessary and whilst the bulbs are out, a
cleanup and coat of rustcoat will reduce and future problems...

Regards

Adam North
RNZAF Police Ret.
Demonware Restorations
1919 Indian Power Plus (could be military scheme, but undecided)
1941 M741B Indian
1942 M741B Indian
88' Landrover NZSTG
Type 82 Kubelwagon