Re: [MV] Controller Card For 1009

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 12:43:09 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Ellis" <stuellis@mediaone.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2000 12:03 PM
Subject: [MV] Controller Card For 1009

> Hi all!
> Can anyone tell me for sure if the civy glow plug card is the same as the
> Blazer 1009? One person told me yes, and 1 person said no the military
one
> is 24 volts.
> Can anyone shed some light? Also, my relay shows 24 volts on the battery
> side and 12 volts on the other. One person said there should be 12 volts
on
> both sides, and another that 24 volts on the battery side is right. Help!

On the controller card you removed, there should be a standard GM part
no. incorporated as part of the solder-mask on one of the card-edges.
That's a
valid GM part number, and I've ordered them through my local dealership
using
nothing but that.

The card is 12V. Two wires leave the card and go to the relay trigger
terminals
on the relay, as neither terminal is grounded to the vehicle, but is instead
fed trigger
+ and - through the card. The relay's other terminals are the feed and the
output.
The feed-side comes directly from the large resistor mounted on the
firewall, and,
if measured at the relay contact with no load, will read ~24V. When the
relay
triggers courtesy of the card (after polling the coolant temp sensor at the
rear
of the block), the relay feeds the 24V to the glow plugs through the
resistor and the
relay.

The glow plugs become an instant circuit load, and cause a current draw
across
the resistor. The resistor then drops the voltage as a result, and if you
were to
measure the voltage at the glow plugs during glow plug cycle, you should get
somewhere between 12 and 18V..

As mentioned here before, GM used packs of different glow plug systems on
the various models, and their controller cards won't work. I believe GM
refers to them as "Diesel Electronics Modules" or similar for the other
applications
(mainly early Olds 5.7 engines), and though they may fit the card socket, I
highly doubt they're interchangeable.

Anyway, that's pretty much how it was explained to me after going several
rounds
with people who only spoke manualese. If you fit 12V GM glow plugs to the
system (like the Autolite 1110's), they don't seem to appreciate the CUCV's
cold-start timer duration, and bake after a few months.

The manual issued to Canada's Army went into excruciating detail to ensure
soldiers charged
with maintenance didn't simply swap out the card to cure system ills, as the
card failure
seems to fail as a *result* of something else going first - not of its own
accord. There's
a test procedure involving checking the voltage and resistance on each wire
leading
to the controller card socket, but I've not found it especially useful.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.
(and additions, corrections, etc. always welcome....)