Re: [MV] B-17's, Jeeps and Flight Line - "Memphis Belle"

From: Antoine (antoine@usa.net)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 22:28:52 PST

Actually, I concur with Brandon on this. William Wyler's documentary
was shot in 1944, contemporaneously to all this "good stuff"
so-to-speak (Airplanes, militaria, Uniforms, Mil-Vehs)
the 1990 version of "Memphis Belle" was directed by Michael
Caton-Jones, a 40-something Scot ("The Jackal", "Rob Roy" etc..).
Mostly shot (if not all) in the UK, it also relies heavily on Computer
Graphics, like all these B-17 high-altitude formations with their
contrails, for instance... Even though Caton-Jones is a very able
director, nothing comes close to W.Wyler's documentary, IMHO, because
of its immediacy, and the "job-to-do" simple approach it takes... Very
different from the emotional manipulation and scripted drama build-up
which Hollywood does, which, in some cases, demeans the subject ...
However, Caton-Jones and his crew did a very creditable job with
Uniforms, Kits, Gear, and Military Vehicles

Antoine
(Mil-Veh List Resident bleeding-heart liberal filmmaker)