Re: [MV] B-17's, Jeeps and Flight Line

From: Robert Barber (rbarber41@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 07:26:28 PST

  There were 5 real aircraft used in the movie. The rest were
  mock ups or the same planes repainted to look different.

  All that were used in the movie came from private owners. They
consisted of Dave Talichets and one other from the US and
the one from England and two from France.

One of the aircraft from France crashed on a takeoff and burned
to a total loss..

The Collings Foundation "909" was scheduled to be in the program
but the aircraft went off the runway at Beavers Falls PA 3 weeks
before scheduled to make the run to the UK..

Dave Talichets B-17 is actually a latter model -G but was re-
configured to be a -C version for the movie. It still is in that
configuration and tours the US doing airshows as the Belle..

I know this since I at one time flew both the B-17 and other WW II
aircraft for Collings Foundation and was slated to fly the 909 in
the movie filming And No it wasn't me that crashed the plane in
PA. We had a couple of flight teams running the planes and the
alternate group was flying it when the accident happened..

                                   Bob B